2 December 2014
In every piece of dependable research, we see eight qualities:
- Thorough use of all known sources for the time and place.
- Carefulness in notetaking, starting with the rigorous use of quotation marks when copying the words of others.
- Insistence on using the best material possible, evaluating each source and each information statement therein by the Evidence Analysis Process Map.
- Understanding the records that have been used, as well as the laws that underpin them.
- Detailed correlation and analysis of evidence from all sources, recognizing that the whole is greater than the mere sum of the parts.
- Explanations of the thought processes that led to each conclusion.
- Sound rebuttals of any and all contradictory evidence.
- Thoughtfulness in reporting one's findings, choosing words that avoid ambiguity or overstatement of the evidence.
How many more can you add to this list?
PHOTOCREDIT: "Best Practices Book Ideas for Success," CanStockPhoto (http://www.canstockphoto.com/images-photos/hallmarks.html#file_view.php?id=11620705 : downloaded 1 December 2014), uploaded 16 Novemer 2012 by iqoncept; used under license.